Death & Suffering
Absorb What is Useful
- The Warrior's Way is not the only way to Truth.
- KNOW YOURSELF!!
- Thou art God.
- The Warrior's Way is a way of life and death. It accepts death and relishes life.
- Seek truth, not appearances.
- Perception and control. That which you can perceive you can control. First yourself, then your surroundings, and finally your opponent. Just don't expect it to be either quick or easy.
- Perception does not rely merely upon the senses. It extends beyond them in all directions to knowing.
- When acting just act. When thinking just think. Equivocation is inefficient.
- There are exceptions to (almost) everything.
- Serenity strengthens you.
- Discipline is the basis of education. Self-discipline is the basis for achievement.
- Knowledge is all that is needed for control, but you must know yourself before you can truly know another.
- Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Thomas Alva Edison
- Believe what is, instead of insisting on your misconceptions.
- Body, mind and will all grow stronger with exercise.
- The Will should control the body, but don't ignore the body without good reason.
- Confidence is important. Arrogance can be useful, but a sense of humor is crucial. Never fool yourself.
- Relaxation gives power with speed. Serenity relaxes the mind, which relaxes the body.
- Remember that not all new students are beginners.
- Teaching only facts is limiting. Teaching learning, limitless.
- Technical excellence is not the totality of the Way.
- Life is a joyous and educational experience not merely a preparation for the next step.
- Eros and Agape are both love, and are among the highest emotions to which humans can aspire. Agape is rarer and more valuable but Eros is also valuable. Combined they are ecstasy.
- Justice, loyalty and courtesy are all traits of strength.
- Asceticism and hedonism each have value.
- Moderate even moderation.
- Don't fool yourself.
- Death is temporary, existence eternal.
- Belief moves mountains. So do bulldozers.
- Cultivate joy in simple beauties. These ever present things can help you survive when the BS is getting you down.
- Gentleness is a good way, to a point. There are times when you must resist even when it is useless, perhaps especially when it is hopeless. There are higher truths than individual physical survival.
- A Teacher should learn almost as much from teaching as do the students.
- The mind and the body are tools for training each other.
- Flexibility aids strength and agility, both physical and mental.
- Clarity of mind and strength of will are crucial to life on the edge.
- The only sin is hurting another unnecessarily.
- Violence is not inherently evil, though the method or purpose may be.
- Take pleasure from what you can, but learn from everything.
- Self-deception is the root of much evil, pain, and stupidity.
- Self-deprivation is a tool, not a goal.
- Life is never so sweet as when it is at risk.
- Mercy and justice are not the same. Know which you are using.
- Tranquility is a reward of control.
- Death is another step in existence.
- The tree of liberty must occasionally be watered with the blood of patriots
- Pruning is often necessary for the survival of an organism. Society is an organism.
- Enjoy living.
Copyright 2000 by Gregory R. Gagnon